We have just released the Q3 update to Media Topics, IPTC’s subject taxonomy used for classifying news content.
Most were changes to the education branch, following our regular review cycle. We also added some missing Norwegian translations (thanks to Tor Kristian Flage at NTB) and fixed some incorrect Wikidata mappings.
The changes are listed below. All changes are in both en-GB and en-US versions unless otherwise noted.
- medtop:20001337 online and remote learning
- medtop:20000398 parent organisation -> parents group
- medtop:20001215 independent schools -> independent school (en-GB), independent and charter school (en-US)
- medtop:20000409 preschool -> early childhood educatio
- medtop:20001214 private schools -> private school
- medtop:20001213 public schools -> public school (en-US), state school (en-GB)
- medtop:20000403 adult education -> adult and continuing education (definition also changed, and moved to become a child of medtop:20000400 school)
- medtop:20000413 examination -> educational testing and examinations (definition also changed, and moved to be a child of medtop:05000000 education)
- medtop:20000405 higher education -> college and university (definition also changed)
- medtop:20000401 elementary schools -> primary education (definition also changed)
- medtop:20000408 middle schools -> lower secondary education (definition also changed)
- medtop:20000404 high schools -> upper secondary education (definition also changed)
- medtop:20001212 religious schools -> religious school (definition also changed)
- medtop:05000000 education
- medtop:20000399 religious education
- medtop:20000400 school
- medtop:20000410 social learning
- medtop:20001216 vocational education
- medtop:20001217 educational grading (also moved to be a child of medtop:05000000 education)
- medtop:20000414 entrance examination (also moved to be a child of medtop:05000000 education)
- medtop:20000415 students (also moved to become a child of medtop:05000000 education)
- medtop:20000416 teachers (also moved to become a child of medtop:05000000 education)
Hierarchy change (in addition to those listed above):
- medtop:20000030 music theatre (its children are moved up to become children of medtop:20000029 theatre)
- medtop:20000411 teaching and learning (its children are now become children of medtop:05000000 education )
- medtop:20000406 college
- medtop:20000407 university
- medtop:20000402 further education
As usual, the Media Topics vocabularies can be viewed in the following ways:
- In a collapsible tree view
- As a downloadable Excel spreadsheet
- On one page on the cv.iptc.org server
- In machine readable formats such as RDF/XML and Turtle using the SKOS vocabulary format: see the cv.iptc.org guidelines document for more detail.
For more information on IPTC NewsCodes in general, please see the IPTC NewsCodes Guidelines.